The below tips and tricks darken the color and help the henna stay longer on your skin. Keep in mind that it takes 48-72 hours after application for the henna to darken to its deepest shade! The longer you let the dyes adhere to the layers of skin, the deeper the color and longer it lasts.
- The paste will start to crack off as it dries. This is totally normal. Applying sugar & lemon water helps to adhere it to the skin.
- There are a variety of essential oils containing terpenes, which helps darken the color. I use a blend of tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender. More info about terps here!
- Leave the henna paste on for six to twelve hours without water. Longer is better, overnight is best.
- Even if you remove the dried henna paste early, try not to put water on the design in the first twelve hours. This will stop the dye activation process.
- Once paste is removed, the design will be a light to medium orange color, but will darken to a brown/red color over the next 48 hours.
- Shower normally but stay away from harsh soaps and scrubbing. Swimming pools and hot tubs will shorten the life of your design.
- Henna stains dead layers of skin and lasts several weeks. 1 – 2 weeks of dark color and 1 – 2 weeks of additional color as the dye fades.
- Henna stains the hands, feet, ankles & wrists the darkest. Henna dyes the top layers of dead skin, so these areas will be darkest and stain the longest. Thinner skinned areas like shoulders and forearms will leave a lighter stain.